SustainabilitY at ASD
"The American School of Dubai encourages sustainable habits and innovative change by spreading awareness and taking informed action to improve the present and future of our community"
Over the past few years sustainability has become an integral part of both learning and operations at the American School of Dubai where awareness around sustainability is becoming an increased priority. Sustainability, as defined by the United Nations, includes a recognition that the world has varied and interconnected dimensions and that a positive future is dependent on decisions that we make each and every day. It many ways, sustainability is about generating a critical consciousness regarding our behaviors as consumers, our choices as members of a community and our voice in supporting a positive future for our children. As such, we understand the necessity to support the development of students who contribute to a rapidly changing world!
The ASD Sustainability Statement was formulated by our Sustainability Action Team with the support of the HS Student Government Association, the MS Student Council and the ASD Cabinet, serves as as guide in moving forward in the years to come. The statement supports the Sustainable Development Goals (Global Goals), adopted by the United Nations in 2016, and focuses our efforts to educate our community, reduce our impact and engage our students in authentic learning experiences on campus and beyond.
ASD is firmly committed to moving toward sustainability in all we do. Here are some milestones we have made:
Committees/organizations supporting sustainability across ASD:
- Administration: Sustainability Committee
- Elementary School: Roots & Shoots
- Middle School: Global Issues Network
- High School: Global Issues Network, Sustainability Action Team; Sustain Our World; High Tide
ASD has a number of "best practices" related to events, energy, water use, and general campus initiatives:
- Filtered water dispensers and expects every member of our community to bring their own reusable water bottle
- Utilizes reusable plates/cutlery/service items for all meetings/events (with up to 250 participants)
- Eliminated all single-use cutlery and/or plates from our cafeterias including bottled water
- Utilizes a grey water system for the watering of the fields and outdoor spaces
- Reduces water use through the use of waterless urinals in men's bathrooms
- Focused on using data to inform decisions for electricity, water and paper use
- A number of sustainability-related Week Without Walls and Inspire trips
ASD's School Gardens:
- Several gardens around campus as well as a planting-to-plate program with our MS/HS cafeteria
- Established composting program which keeps nearly 100 kg out of landfill per day
- Visit the ASD Garden YouTube page to learn more
ASD has sustainability-related affiliations with the following organizations/contests:
- As one of the Zayed Sustainability Prize finalist, ASD was awarded the prize for Global High Schools Category (MENA Region) in January January 2019. More about the prize. ASD in the news.
- ASD won the inaugural Expo 2020 Sustainability Champions Competition which includes the installment of a new solar power array for the school
- Emirates Environmental Group
ASD has a robust recycling program through it's environmental partnership with Emirates Environmental Group through which we have won several awards in the past few years for paper and plastic recycling
- Green Schools Alliance
ASD has signed the Green Schools Alliance leadership commitment to reduce environmental impact
- Eco-Schools UAE - working on contest for 2018-2019
- Roots & Shoots UAE
- Emirates Nature - WWF UAE