— Updated 4/11/23 —
At the American School of Dubai, we value the rights and freedoms of all people. This includes respecting your privacy and protecting your personal data. This privacy notice describes how we collect and use (or "process") your information. It also tells you how to contact us as well as outlining what rights you have with regard to your personal data.
The American School of Dubai (“we”, “our”, “us”) is a not for profit school located in Al Barsha 1, Dubai. We provide education to children between the ages of 3 to 18. We are regulated by the Dubai Knowledge and Human Development Authority.
The purpose of this privacy notice is to provide detailed information about how we process personal data about visitors to our website.
Our website privacy notice should be read in conjunction with our other policies and terms and conditions which make reference to processing personal data, including our Prospective Employee Privacy Notice.
Please read this notice carefully and, if you have questions regarding your personal data or its use, please contact the Data Protection Office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you consider your personal data is not being used appropriately in accordance with this policy, you may contact us at email@example.com. Additionally, you are entitled to lodge a complaint with the UAE Data Office by contacting them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will update this Privacy Notice from time to time. Any substantial changes that affect how we process your personal data will be notified on our website and to you directly, as far as practicable.
The term ‘personal data’ refers to any information which identifies you or can be used to identify a data subject when used in conjunction with other information.
The term ‘data subject’ describes the person about whom the personal data is about.
We process personal data about visitors to our website. The personal data we process includes:
- IP addresses, location data, and website statistics and analytics;
- website cookies
- Email Address
We collect information recorded when you visit our website. We also collect data about you when you sign up to receive email our newsletter and/or prospectus.
Whenever we use (or “process”) any personal data (sensitive/special category or otherwise), we do so in accordance with applicable laws and regulations (including with respect to safeguarding or employment). Personal data held by us is processed by appropriate members of staff for the purposes for which the data was provided.
We take appropriate technical and organizational steps to ensure the security of personal data about individuals, including policies around use of technology and devices, and access to school systems. We use technical measures such as encryption, two-factor authentication, firewalls, endpoint protection, and intrusion detection tools to safeguard the integrity of data, and we audit those safeguards regularly. After we no longer need to process a particular piece of personal data, it is securely destroyed in accordance with legal requirements.
Some of our systems and programs are managed or operated by third parties. We engage only with third parties that adhere to the PDPL’s principles of data protection, and we pursue contractual assurances that personal data will be kept securely and only in accordance with our specific directions. We do not transfer personal data you have provided unless we evaluate the third party’s safeguards and are satisfied that the personal data will be treated with an adequate level of protection.
We may transfer data to other countries but in doing so will rely either on the existence of adequacy agreements or pursue standard contractual clauses as part of agreements with data processors. For more information on how we transfer data to other countries is available upon request by contacting our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.
We process personal data collected by our website to support our operation as an independent school. In particular, we use the data for:
- advancement including fundraising;
- analyzing website traffic, demographics and behavior through the use of analytical tools and cookies;
- the promotion of our school through our website[s], our prospectus and other publications and communications (including through our social media accounts)
We may process your personal data for the above purposes based on the legal basis that:
- it is necessary for the performance of a contract (e.g. an employment contract with a member of staff, or to deliver educational services to an enrolled student);
- it is in our legitimate interest (e.g. analyzing website traffic)
In every case, when we are collecting or using personal data, we will comply with the requirements of the Personal Data Protection Law, Federal Decree Law No. 45 of the United Arab Emirates.
Under data protection laws, you have the right to:
- obtain access to, and copies of, the personal data that we hold about you (subject to legal exceptions);
- correct the personal data we hold about you if it is incorrect;
- require us to erase your personal data in certain circumstances;
- require us to restrict our data processing activities in certain circumstances;
- receive from us the personal data we hold about you which you have provided to us, in a reasonable format specified by you, including for the purpose of your transmitting that personal data to another data controller;
- object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to any of our particular processing activities where you feel this has a disproportionate impact on your rights (including a right to object to receiving fundraising or communications, and to object to our profiling you for the purposes of fundraising or keeping in touch);
- where our processing is based on your consent, you may withdraw that consent, without affecting the lawfulness of our processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights under data protection law for which we are the data controller, please make your request by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that these rights are not absolute, and we may be entitled or required to refuse requests where exceptions or exemptions apply.
We will respond to any such written requests as soon as is reasonably practicable and in any event within statutory time limits.
We try to ensure that all personal data held in relation to an individual is as up to date and accurate as possible. Parents should use the Odoo system to record any significant changes to important information, such as contact details, held about themselves or their children.
If you have any questions or concerns about how we are using your personal data or if you would like to exercise any of your information rights, please contact us at email@example.com.
All personal data is securely stored in accordance with legal requirements. We retain personal data only for legitimate purposes, relying on one or more of the lawful bases as set out above, and only for so long as necessary for those purposes, or as required by law.
If you have questions, requests or issues, please let us know how we can help. Our Data Protection Officer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
American School of Dubai
Intersection of First Al Khail & Hessa Street,
Opposite the Saudi German Hospital
Al Barsha Dubai, UAE