Learning is at the heart of the ASD experience. To support the rich and dynamic relationship between teacher and student, ASD provides guidance and support to faculty by fostering an environment of collaborative professional practice. Faculty work in teams and departments in support of continuous student learning. ASD fosters dialogue around research supporting the best practices in curriculum alignment, assessment and instruction. ASD is committed to student-centered approaches to learning and assessments in accordance with the ASD Learning Principles, valuing inquiry, creativity, collaboration and collegiality. Under the leadership of the Director of Learning, the Teaching and Learning Center provides access to a variety of educational organizations and the latest educational research.
ASD LEARNING PRINCIPLES
- Learning has inherent value.
- Learners experience the power of an idea for themselves.
- Learning is enhanced when goals are clear and personalized.
- Learners engage when they see the importance of the workand experience a sense of accomplishment.
- Learners need clear expectations for quality of process, performance and product.
- Learners thrive in a safe environment.
- Effective feedback, reflection and self-assessment are essential to deepen and extend learning.
- Independent thinking and creativity flourish within a stimulating environment.